Monday, October 4, 2010

"The Evil Dead" movie #2 for 31 days of Halloween Horrror Fest

From the IMDb site the synopsis for the Evil Dead is
Five friends go up to a cabin in the woods where they find unspeakable evil lurking in the forest. They find the Necronomicon and the taped translation of the text. Once the tape is played, the evil is released. One by one, the teens become deadly zombies. With only one remaining, it is up to him to survive the night and battle the evil dead.
Directed by the wonderful Sam Raimi starring Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Richard DeManincor, Betsy Baker and Theresa Tilly.
I have always had quite the fondness for the Evil Dead series, even though I started out watching the movies backwards.  I saw "Army of Darkness" first.  When I decided to watch this movie for the number 2 movie it was because of the gratuitous A+ blood and gore and the superb make-up.  The acting at times leaves a little bit to be desired but for the most part a pretty gosh darn good movie!

We start the movie out by seeing a car full of friends driving to stay in a run down old cabin for a night for who knows what reason.  First thing that comes to mind when I see our characters for the first time is 'What the heck is going on with Ash's hair??' Maybe it's because I saw him as the muscular sexy hero of Army of Darkness this bowl cut geek version sorta throws me off. 
After a narrow brush with death by a stupid truck and a cross across a treacherous bridge we find ourselves at the run down old cottage.
First off I would never stay in that thing, can you imagine the type of animals that could sneak in there at night? Ewww and another that stupid swing hitting the side of the house would drive me bonkers.  Then when Scott goes in the door for the first time do you see how much dust flies up in the air, how nasty.
One part I will say that I rather enjoyed is the creepy first person monster/spirit that you never get to see, how it spies on them and they look right through it.  Then the "join us... join us" gave me heebyjeebies up my back.  Then Raimi also used noise and music to his advantage, the creaks and silence building anticipation as your just waiting for something to jump at you.  Then I still fell for it every time
Did anyone notice when they find the tapes and the Necromanicun in the basement there is a "Hills has eyes" poster on the wall? Nice little touch.
As the movie progresses and poor Cheryl begins to loose her cool how stupid is that girl for running outside?? Seriously if you think there is someone in the woods don't go running out there trying to pick a right, at least take a flashlight and tell someone your going outside! And that god awful tree rape scene, that's enough to make anyone hate camping forever. And also why did it take them so long to get to the damn door?? Seriously!!

I love the make-up effects for this movie, the way they turn into creepy old ladies with really bad wigs just is superb.  I also would have slapped Linda like crazy with her giggling at me and "we're gonna get you we're gonna get you" ugh
The end scene will stay with you forever, yes you can tell it is a bit dated but for it's time it is so amazing the way they purify right in front of your face.  It's enough to make me, a hardcore gore girl feel a whee bit nauseous. All in all "The Evil Dead" is a pretty decent movie, A+ make-up and effects for it's time, the story is very interesting, the acting is a little weak in some parts but they do rather well for the most part.  I give this movie 4 out of 5 skulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment